Shaped by its Berber, Arab and Jewish traditions, and its time as a French colony, Essaouira was built as the ‘port of Timbuktu’ during the days of the slave trade and silk routes, and in recent decades has become Morocco’s hippest and most relaxed seaside resort.
You will be based in the traditional artisan district of Chbanat, within Essaouira’s UNESCO-protected walled medina, as we take you on a journey through the colours, sounds and tastes of Morocco.
Your holiday includes:
• Half-board accommodation in a shared riad or private apartment in Essaouira medina
• Indigo workshop in Essaouira’s traditional dyers’ yard
• Weaving workshop in our atelier in the medina, and open air weaving on hand-looms
• Opportunities to observe local weaving and carpet-making techniques and ‘have a go’ yourself
• Day trips to a local country market, and junkyard art tour
• An introduction to Moroccan textiles, costume and jewellery
• A private evening performance of Gnaoua music (optional)
• Design and have your own scarf woven on our loom
• Work together to weave a community carpet
At least 10% of our profit goes to local good causes, focusing on youth education and women.
Fly from London Luton to Essaouira, Manchester to Marrakech or via a variety of other routes. Taxi transfers, day trips and some additional activities are included. For more details and prices send us a Facebook message or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jan 07th 2018